Armacost Library Community Agreements
This is an evolving document and will be updated periodically in consultation with library community members.
The Armacost Library is a collaborative, shared working space for University of Redlands community members and the broader Redlands community (i.e. students, faculty, visitors, administrators, and library staff) to engage in study, research, community-building, exploration, and decision-making. Library employees aim to create an environment in which all participants are able to use our shared resources. This document lays out expectations for our library community: library community members are those who use and those who work at the Library.
Commitment to this shared space includes:
• Sensitivity to noise and noise zones (2nd floor is most lively, 3rd floor is for quieter study, and the 4th floor is for quietest study)
• Taking care of library equipment, materials, and spaces (including print material, computers, and furniture)
• Sharing responsibility for creating and maintaining an inclusive, affirming, and welcoming work space, in which we can all expect to work in an atmosphere free from discriminatory and oppressive attitudes, comments, behaviors, and actions (i.e. racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, classist…)
In addition to the above, Armacost Library personnel also commit to:
• Supporting and maintaining an inclusive, affirming, and welcoming work space, in which we actively work towards creating an atmosphere free from discriminatory and oppressive attitudes, comments, behaviors, and actions (i.e. racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, classist…)
• Cultivating trust through our caring, equitable, and knowledgeable support for exploration, inquiry, community-building, and reflection
• Protecting your privacy and preserving confidentiality
• Providing the best possible resources to support research, exploration, schoolwork, contemplation, and career and further education investigation
Consequences of violating Community Agreements:
If a violation of the Community Agreements is reported or witnessed, the library community member will be asked to change their behavior and/or leave the library. In order to uphold the Community Agreements, the following will be the course of action for library users violating Community Agreements:
• A library staff member will request the library user to refrain from behavior that goes against the Community Agreements. The library staff member will refer to the Community Agreements.
• If the behavior is not immediately changed, a second request will be made by library staff.
• If the behavior continues after the second request, a library staff member will ask the library user to leave the library due to failure to act in accordance with the Community Agreements. The library user will be notified that Public Safety will be informed.
• If the library user continues to ignore the Community Agreements, the requests from library staff, and is still in the library when Public Safety Officer(s) arrives, Public Safety Officer(s) will escort them from the library.
Processes for complaints & reporting:
Library users may file a complaint with a library staff member regarding library personnel, policies, and procedures, who will share with their supervisors. Library users may choose to directly voice their complaint by emailing Director of Armacost Library & Learning Commons, Shana Higgins. If a library user alleges discriminatory or harassing behavior of any type involving library personnel and/or other University community members, they should review the University’s policy and contact (or will be referred to) Erica Moorer, Director of Equity and Title IX Coordinator. For more information on Equity and Title IX at University of Redlands, visit: https://sites.redlands.edu/titleixandequity/policy/
Adopted December 2018
Acknowledgements: Adapted from “Community Agreements,” Barnard Library and Academic Information Services (BLAIS). Also inspired by MIT Libraries Vision, Mission, and Values and the ALA’s Core Values of Librarianship.