1. Go to www.zotero.org
2. Click Login in the upper-right hand corner, and then click on Register for a free account.
3. Choose a username, password, and enter your email.
4. Zotero will send you an email: Activate your account by clicking on the confirmation link in that message.
5. Now, open the Zotero application on your computer.
6. To set up syncing, go to the Edit menu and select Preferences.
7. Under the Sync tab, enter your account information and click OK.
8. Last, in the upper right-hand corner, there is a green circular arrow, click on this to sync your Library. You only have to do this once.
Note: Setting up an account allows you to access and back up your Zotero library online. You will also be able to setup Shared Groups.